hair TIPS + my new haircut!



For today's post I wanted to share with you some hair related tips for those looking to keep their hair healthy and beautiful - some dos and don'ts if you will.  Here is a great graphic from Madison Reed that talks about ten "hair myths" that are commonly found circulating the web.  I'll be listing my few of my favorite tips here but take a look at the graphic to see the full list.   ALSO at the end of this post I'll be unveiling my new hair cut and color!!!!

DO drink water and eat healthy! This tip isn't on a graphic but I find it very important.  It kind of goes a long with just eating healthier in general.  When you're not getting the right nutrients, you body uses what it can get to maintain essenti

al processes - hair growth isn't one of them.  Eating healthy, drinking water, and getting the right amounts of minerals means your body will be able to allocate resources to stronger, shiner and overall better hair.

DO trim your hair! Trimming your hair won't make your hair grow any faster technically, but what it does do is makes your hair look fuller.  When you grow out your hair, many strands will experience breakage during the growth process, causing the bottom third of your hair to be significantly thinner than the middle.  If you grow your hair out super long but never trim it, the bottom section will end up looking scraggly and unflattering.


DON'T use heat.  This is a hard one.  I don't know about you but I love me a nice curling iron. Unfortunately the damage from overusing straighteners and other tools can be irreversible.  If you have to use heat tools, use a heat protecting product and don't use the highest temperature setting (chances are you don't actually need it that high for it to be functional anyway). I've been using TRESemme for several years now and its a favorite.

DON'T over process your hair.  Bleaching or leaving hair dye in for too long, or bleaching too often can seriously kill your hair.  It can leave it porous, dry, brittle, and lifeless.  I'm sure you've all heard the horror stories of your best friends, ex-friends, mother's dog sitter who burned her hair off with bleach.  Its important to take it slow and let your hair have some downtime.  I know its hard to be patience when you have a dark color and you really need platinum like now. But give your hair time to rejuvenate between bleaches and dyes and it will thank you for it.





Now, for my hairs. Ta-da!!

Probably most of you don't know this, but I chopped off my hair at the end of December just before Christmas.  I was in the mood for a post-wedding hair change and cut off about ten inches to a "semi-blunt bob". Here is a picture from today that showcases the cut one month later.  At the time it was cut it was a faded mousey brown and hit about the middle of my back.  Because I was dying (#pun) to get back to my beloved scarlet, I had the stylist try to copy a previous red color I had.  It ended up not being red enough and looked too brown after a week so I re-dyed it myself.

Here you can also see the color my hair is now.  This is about three weeks after dying with Loreal HiColor in red.  As you know I try a lot of different boxed hair dyes so this was the first time I had used dye that had to be mixed with developer.  It has now faded from a bright ariel red to a the perfect rich coppery auburn that I love.  I'm still unsure if I'll be using this to redye in a couple of weeks but if anyone wants a review/tutorial let me know.


Thats all for today! Let me know what hair tips you have! Stay tuned for a face of the day post on the above look. :)


P.S. Related. Madison Reed has a fun hair quiz you can check out to see what color you should try next.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post and good tips!

    https://asparklingjourney.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love, don't post just to advertise, but please leave a link to your blog at the end of your comment so I can check it out! (: Chat me up on twitter @tsjbblogger.